Young children like to climb. Furniture such as bookshelves, TVs and chests of drawers can all be used by a child to reach higher objects. Putting weight on one side of the furniture can cause it to become unbalanced and then fall on top of the climbing child.
- Secure bookshelves, chest of drawers and other unstable furniture to the wall with brackets or anchor straps to stop them from tipping over
- Mount or anchor TVs to the wall or to stable and secure furniture Don’t put heavy items on high shelves
- Don’t keep things on the top of the TV or furniture that will tempt kids to climb, such as toys and the TV remote
- Look for furniture that has a wide and stable base Anti-tipping products are often sold with new furniture
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to install them. You can also purchase your own from your local hardware store.